Recent rains and mild temperatures mean one thing: BUGS, and lots of them. Specifically, fleas are out in full force. We’ve heard from many of you who are pulling your hair out over the persistence of these pests this year–the usual tricks are just not working.
So, what can be done?
- Treat your home and your yard to keep fleas at bay using these tips.
- Know your options for flea & tick meds.
- Choose a medicine or treatment you think best for your pet.
- Administer your pet’s treatment regularly and on schedule.
Below are several over-the-counter and prescription options on the market today, and what they treat:
(On mobile? Turn your device for easier reading!)
Need a vet’s advice? Visit our VIP Vet Clinics at Tomlinson’s around town this weekend and next. No appointment needed!
- In addition to fleas and ticks, Advantix also kills and repells mosquitos, biting flies, and lice.
- Only approved for canine use.
- Starts working in as little as 10 minutes.
- Kills adult flea and ticks, but also prevents future infestations
- Formulas suited for all sizes of cats and dogs.
- Topical formula begins working within 12 hours and is waterproof after 24 hours.
- Starts working within 12 hours of application.
- Kills and prevents fleas, ticks, and lice.
- Product line also includes yard and premise spray, carpet cleaner, household spot treatment, and household fogger.
- Unique non-greasy, odorless, waterproof collar.
- Kills fleas, and both kills and repels ticks.
- Approved for use on both dogs and cats.
- Effective for up to 8 months.
- Revolution protects against the big three: heartworms, fleas, and ticks.
- Added bonus- also controls ear mites and sarcoptic mange.
- Monthly, quick-drying topical treatment for dogs.
- Monthly oral tablets that you can give your dogs like a treat.
- Beef and bacon flavor makes for easy administration.
- Guards against a myriad of insects, such as: heartworms, adult roundworms, adult hookworms, whipworms, tapeworms, and prevents the development of flea eggs.
- Trifexis is a once-monthly tablet.
- Tastes like beef for easy administration.
- Kills and prevents flea infestations, prevents heartworms, and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm infections.
- Kills fleas and prevents infestations in as little as 30 minutes.
- Formulas specifically for dogs and cats.
- One flavored, oral tablet is effective for an entire month.
- Tasty, chewable tablets for dogs.
- Controls fleas and ticks for one month.
- Beef flavored, oral heartworm preventative
- Kills heartworm larvae, roundworms, and hookworms.
- Protection lasts for 30 days.
- Protects against pesky fleas and ticks.
- Tasty, oral tablet administered like a treat.
- Available in 5 dosages to protect dogs of all shapes and sizes.
- Only option that’s proven effective for up to 12 weeks!
If you’re unable to make it to the vet to pick up one of these prescription options, Tomlinson’s proudly carries a variety of over the counter and all-natural flea and tick preventatives. Considering these recent weather conditions are an insect’s paradise, any protection you can provide is better than no coverage.